Founded as a state-approved non-profit organisation, the Musée d’art et d’histoire du Judaïsme (mahJ) opened in 1998 with the support of the City of Paris and the State.
The Educational Service organises activities for children, individually or with their family, and programmes for schools (primary, secondary, students and teachers).
The auditorium’s music, literature, theatre and film programme highlights the wealth and diversity of Jewish culture.
20,000 books and more than 3,000 audio-visual documents can be freely consulted in the mahJ’s media library, an unparalleled source of information on the art and cultures of Judaism.
The mahJ bookshop has a range of 5,000 titles on art, history, literature, philosophy and Jewish culture.
On the ground floor, open during museum opening hours.
Heir to the Musée d’Art juif de Paris, the mahJ project was launched in 1985, following the exhibition of the Isaac Strauss Collection at the Grand Palais. It gained momentum in 1988 with the creation of a non-profit organisation, which took the project forward until the museum opened in the refurbished Hôtel de Saint-Aignan in 1998.
(in french) Le mahJ accompagne et enrichit les événements de sa programmation par des catalogues et albums d’exposition, des actes de colloque, ainsi que des ouvrages sur sa collection que vous pouvez retrouver à la librairie du musée.
Acquired by the City of Paris in 1962 as part of a plan to preserve the Marais quarter, the Hôtel de Saint-Aignan, built by Pierre Le Muet (1591-1669), is one of the jewels of 17th-century Parisian architecture.