A Selection of Works Lapidary - Numismatics
1,3 x 55,5 x 10 cm
Photo Adam Rzepka. Musée d'Art et d'Histoire du Judaïsme, Paris
On long-term loan from the Musée national du Moyen Âge, Paris
In accordance with Ashkenazi custom, the tombstones from the Paris cemeteries stood upright over individual graves. This tombstone, bearing the date 1281, was found in 1849 at the site of the former cemetery located between rue Pierre-Sarrazin and rue de la Harpe. The epitaph is in Hebrew, and, following the traditional sequence, gives the rabbinical titles of two Parisian teachers: "This is the tombstone of our teacher Rabbi Salomon, son of our teacher Rabbi Judah, who departed for the Garden of Eden on the day of Shabbat Korah in the year 5041 of the calendar, may his memory live for ever in the world to come, may his soul be bound up with the living."